Funded by the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and delivered by a partnership consisting of Triggerise (the prime contractor), Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) and Well Told Story (WTS), the ‘In their hands’ (ITH) programme is an ambitious user-centric investment that aims to normalize sexual health, reduce pregnancy and unsafe abortions among adolescent girls aged 15-19. The programme has 3 objectives including:
- Improving the agency and desire of adolescent girls to use sexual and reproductive health solutions;
- Increasing access to quality SRH products and services among adolescent girls; and
- Increasing community acceptability of adolescent girls’ use of Sexual and reproductive products and services.
The programme’s theory of change mirrors the pathway that adolescent girls need to follow when exercising their sexual rights beginning with them valuing their sexual health and wanting services, and involves designing these choices on their terms, and making providers accountable, creating an environment where girls are fully supported to make this decision.
The programme has attracted significant co-financing from the German Development Bank (KfW) that broadens the ITH offer to include vocational education and training. In addition, a feasibility study is currently underway to explore additional financing for the programme through a Development Impact Bond (DIB) with DFID as the outcome payer. The programme thus needs to evolve from being a single funder programme to a multi-funder programme. The programme is currently implemented in Kenya, but our ambition is to blueprint it and significantly scale the programme to other countries.
Triggerise seeks a highly experienced senior Programme Director to provide overall day to day leadership and technical direction for the ITH programme ensuring achievement of programme goals and deliverables. The Programme Director will be the primarily liaison with Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and other funders of the programme and will manage ITH partners to ensure that targets and deliverables are met, proper reporting, financial management and compliance. In light of our ambition to scale the programme in Kenya and in other countries, a key role of the Programme Director will be to significantly contribute to crowding in additional resources for the ITH programme and representing the ITH programme at the highest levels nationally, regionally and internationally. The Programme Director is reporting directly to the Platform Director.
- Overall Project Supervision
- Maintain effective and regular communication with CIFF, CEOs of sub-awardees, core programme managers, implementing partners, and national and county government stakeholders
- Provide leadership in mitigating, monitoring and escalating implementation bottlenecks to assure resolution of all operational, context/exogenous and performance risks
- Oversee the development, implementation and regular review and revision of the ITH programme’s Monitoring and evaluation plan
- Oversee the establishment and functioning of a multi stakeholder steering committee
- Ensure effective integration of any technical assistance provided to ITH order to leverage these investments and ensure maximum impact
- Stakeholder Management
- Maintain a snag list to ensure that it is followed up and that snags are addressed
- Build the reputation and recognition of the ITH programme among stakeholders including international donors and philanthropists, national and county governments in the countries in which ITH will operate, peer organizations and other donors with the aim of crowding in additional resources that support the achievement of the programme’s objectives
- Represent the ITH programme to CIFF, potential, donors, county and national governments and other stakeholders
- Serve as Safeguarding focal point across the consortium
- Programme Leadership
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration and teamwork among ITH programme partners to ensure that programme goals, agreed targets and deliverables are met
- Oversee the preparation of quality programme financial and narrative reports, grant budgets and work plans by sub awardees
- Provide or facilitate the provision of technical assistance to sub awardees to ensure that they meet deliverables that they are responsible and accountable for
- Oversee the development, implementation and regular review and revision of the ITH programme’s risk management plan
- Ensure that sub awardees are familiar with ITH donor policies, procedures, guidelines and reporting requirements as they pertain to the implementation of the programme
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified ITH programme management staff
- Oversee the implementation and reporting (both programme and finance) of the consortium budget and workplan
Qualifications and experience
We are looking for a combination of educational and work experience that clearly demonstrates an ability to provide effective overall technical leadership and oversight
- Master’s degree or higher in international development, public health, social sciences, or another relevant field;
- 10 years or more of progressively responsible technical and supervisory work experience involving direct leadership of professional and support staff, oversight and evaluation of staff performance and deliverables, and contract management (experience overseeing the implementation of P4P contracts highly desirable)
- Strong representational skills for building and maintaining partnerships with government representatives, donors and other key stakeholders
- Experience implementing activities of similar scope, complexity and implementation arrangements
- Demonstrated track record of working in teams and fostering partnerships; effective partnerships and coordination with consortium members, county and national government institutions
- Proven technical leadership in sexual and reproductive health
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects at once
- Tech fluent and proficient in the use of productivity tools and applications and a willingness to learn new ones
- Strong understanding of financial statements, monitoring and evaluation
- Strong communication skill and the ability to oversee the quality and timeliness of project reporting efforts
- Previous experience successfully working as a Team Leader/ Project Director is highly desirable.
- Proven leadership demeanor: calm under pressure, diplomatic, politically savvy and decisive;
- Fluency in writing and speaking English required
- Has right to work in Kenya or is a Kenyan National
Please submit your CV and cover letter in electronic submission to email@example.com with “ITH Programme Director” in the title by 21st June 2019. No phone inquiries, please. We will review applications on a rolling basis. Finalists will be contacted.